3275 South Jones Blvd., Suite 105
Las Vegas, NV 89146
(702) 307-9500


If you want to start a new business, forming a corporate entity to own and operate that business isn't a bad idea. That being said, determining the right business structure is also important. Typically, most business people form either a limited liability company (LLC) or a corporation (Inc.). What are some of the differences? What are some of the similarities? What are some of the benefits?

A person, association, company or corporation, or agent or officer thereof, is not prohibited from negotiating, executing and enforcing an agreement with an employee which, upon termination of employment, prohibits the former employee from pursuing a similar vocation in competition with or becoming employed by a competitor of the former employer.

Not every case is worth millions of dollars. Sometimes, a client may only be owed a few hundred or a few thousand dollars. Yet, many individuals and businesses rely on such money to properly operate and survive. Some do not see the economic advantage in pursuing such small claims against those who owe them money. But, many others understand that over time, these "small" amounts add up to big losses. So, what if you are owed money by someone who refuses to pay you. What if someone wronged you, but the damages are minimal. Can you still pursue a legal action? The answer is YES.

12/02/2014 Jessica K. Peterson, Esq.
On September 18, 2014 the Nevada Supreme Court finally settled a long standing battle between Homeowner Associations (HOA’s) and Banks when it decided the case of SFR Investments Pool 1 v. U.S. Bank, 130 Nev. Adv. Op. 75, 334 P.3d 408, 409 (2014), reh'g denied (Oct. 16, 2014).

After going through the time and expense of suing someone, say you finally obtain a judgment against that person. What then? It is unlikely that person will simply hand you a check for the money that they owe you. More than likely, you will need to take action to collect it if the other party will not voluntarily pay the judgment amount. A common misconception that many clients have is the court will collect their judgment for them. That is not the case. The burden is on you to locate the other party's assets and try to seize them in satisfaction of your judgment. However, the court will issue the orders and other documents required to force the debtor to pay. One of those ways is called garnishment. This is when you get a court order called a Writ of Garnishment to obtain a portion of the defendant's wages. In order to garnish wages you must know the name and address of the employer of the person you have the judgment against.

These are the infamous words spoken by Maury Povich on his day-time talk show, which frequently determines paternity for a child born out of wedlock. Although talk shows dramatize the issues of paternity, an action to establish paternity can be emotionally charging and involve complex legal issues.

Picking up from my last article, now that you have correctly and properly served the appropriate Notices, you have initiated the steps to legally terminate the tenant’s occupancy for failure to pay rent. If as a result of the notices you served the tenant has failed to move out, he is now in “unlawful detainer” of the premises. Nevada law states that a tenant is guilty of unlawful detainer when he continues in possession of the premises after default in payment of rent and after the landlord has delivered the Notices described in the first portion of this article. An eviction action may only be initiated once the tenant is in unlawful detainer.

Are you or your company in the market to buy a high-end home? If so, then it is probably safe to say that you and/or your company would like to keep the transaction as private as possible and away from the paparazzi.

We are full swing into the holiday season as Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas and New Years quickly approach. It is a time for family and friends to gather and celebrate, but unfortunately, all of that holiday cheer can bring about unwanted legal woes.